This morning I got a phone call from a friend in Asia: Hans Peter, there is a great need for ideas on democracy in the US. What do you do about it?
Basically, I am in the process of writing a book about democracy. But work on it is not going forward as planned. It might take months or years before the book is ready for publication.
Since the US is very evidently in dire need of a renewal of society and democracy (more so than any other western nation presently), I decide to put my suggestions forward in a short statement. The call for concrete support instead of “love” texts by a black writer addressed to his white friends in the New York Times a couple of days ago provides an additional impulse.
So here my attempt for constructive support:
- The US evidently with the highest degree of urgency needs a democracy which serves the well-being of all people in the US.
- Solving highly complex problems such as “renewing democracy” requires a suitable problem-solving methodology. I suggest “Systems Thinking” as a foundation.
- It tells us that no system works effectively without effective control by the stakeholder, in the case of democracy, the people.
- The US will not get a functioning democracy serving all people without a powerful and effective driver, a “Society for Effective Democracy”.
- To make sure it serves all people, each and every person interested in renewing US society must join in and support the work of this Society.
- Democracy is an extremely complicated system. Renewing US democracy, therefore, requires know-how of ultimate quality. The Society must collect this know-how.
- On the basis of this know-how, the Society must prepare optimal concepts for the renewal of the US democracy.
- With the right money by donors the Society can be up and running in three months’ time.
- It can have first major proposals on the table a year later.
- It can have a more comprehensive concept for a renewal of the main pillars of US democracy on the table in three years’ time.
- Involving the people in such a powerful and credible drive to renew US democracy will enhance confidence in society for the future and create stability.
- Voting for suited politicians is a first step. Yet, individual politicians simply cannot renew democracy and society. It takes a powerful driver.
- It takes a Society for Effective Democracy driven and carried jointly by all decent citizens in the US.
- Start now.